album
Enjoy images and video from both the past and present.
Peggy's Cove has a rich history. The mandate of the Peggy's Cove Preservation Society is to preserve and enhance the historical and cultural heritage of the village.

Beacon House
​
The original "lighthouse" was a wooden house with a beacon on the roof, built in 1868 appropriately named The Beacon House. The Keeper lit a kerosene oil lamp at sundown, which was magnified by a silver-plated mirror called a catoptric reflector, creating the red beacon light marking the eastern entrance of St. Margaret's Bay.
​
Take a minute to ponder life as a Keeper of the lighthouse... what would it have been like to ride out a storm in Peggy's Cove so close to the shore? How many babies were born inside of that house?
Current Lighthouse
​
In 1914 the current octagonal lighthouse was built from reinforced concrete, standing almost 15 metres (49 feet) high. The eight-sided shape was a reflection of earlier generations of wooden light towers. The Beacon House became just the Keepers dwelling until 1954, when it was damaged by Hurricane Edna, and then was removed. It wasn't until 1958 that the current lighthouse became fully automated. In the past, the colour of the light shining to guide vessels into the Bay, have been red, white, and green. It was in 2007 that the light was changed to red, to conform to the world lighthouse standards.


The Original Chapel
​
In December 1847 the idea was put into action to build a house to honour Almighty God in Peggy's Cove. In 1850 the Reverend John Stannage consecrated the newly built chapel. The first service was held July 7th, 1850 in the chapel. Unfortunately, a fire destroyed this original chapel.
The Peggy's Cove Church Heritage Fund​​
Current St. John's Anglican Church
​
The current Carpenter Gothic style church with a corner tower and spire, was completed in 1885 with the help of a large grant from SPCK. Plans for the new church began in 1881 and the church was consecrated on April 26th, 1885. The Peggy's Cove community throughout the years, has enjoyed the sounds of the church bell and organ. The stained-glass windows are an remembrance of past community members. The church brought community members together, as did a community hall built in 1900, when the population of the village was approximately 300 people. In 1963 a Peggy's Cove resident and artist William E. DeGarth, donated two murals to the church. One mural portrays Christ walking on the water and calming the sea. The second mural shows a group of fisherman at the mercy of a violent storm. For over 60 years these murals have adorned the altar area of the church, which is an incredible treasure and gift to the community.


Fishing Community
​
The first people of the Cove were likely the Mi'kmaq, using it as a summer fish camp. The first recorded name of the Cove was Eastern Point Harbour or Pegg's Harbour in 1766. In 1809 William and George Troop, William Isenhauer, and John Kyzer petitioned for license to occupy land at Peggy's Cove. They had been working in the fishing industry for five years previously. It is recorded that in 1811 a land grant of 800 acres was given to six families (the above five, plus George Isenhauer) of Peggy's Cove by the province of Nova Scotia, stretching from Indian Harbour to Polly's Cove. Today these lands are referred to as the Peggy's Cove Preservation Area, which surrounds the village. Peggy's Cove was, and still is, an active fishing village today. There are historic fish shacks built in the early 1800's that are still maintained and operated by families, who for over five generations, have chosen the fisher way of life. At one time there was even a fish processing plant in Peggy's Cove. Today the lobster season in this district runs from the last Monday of November through to May 31st each year. Over the years ways of doing fishing has changed and have had to adapt to the times. For example, boats now have motors, and wooden traps have given way to plastic. But the heart and dedication of the fisherman has stayed the same. The fishing industry is a major contributor to the economic well-being of the province of Nova Scotia today.